A visitor from the east comming from the south and heading north. Photo taken at Morgan's Lookout north of Albury NSW. Lots of stories and photos and still some homework to be completed. In 1979 I transported this gentleman and his punters from Kabul to just short of Kathmandu.

5 Comments

Colin Davidson  (Shirley) Colin Davidson (Shirley)

Re: EASTER BUNNY DELIVERY

Simon, a good photo of you and Grant Short.
Vicar Vicar

Re: EASTER BUNNY DELIVERY

'Just short of Kathmandu'? I don't know if 'Short' was a pun intended but why short of Kathmandu? Did they have to walk the final bit?
SIMON ARMS SIMON ARMS

Re: EASTER BUNNY DELIVERY

There is no doubt about you Vicar, straight to the point and infact the "homework" as I described it relates to exactly WHY did Grant and his group not travel on the last leg into Kathmandu and why was I called upon to pick up Grants west bound group at the Kathmandu airport ? We know Col was washing his coach in the Green Lake and he assures us that he was following behind for some other reason than a "breakdown" so there is a very small mystery here and Grant tells me he is going to get to the bottom of it.
Colin Davidson Colin Davidson

Re: EASTER BUNNY DELIVERY

Simon,
Grant wasn’t with me heading to KTH, as I had picked up RSY 328L in Kabul and traveled to KTH without passengers. So who was Grant with?
From memory, I left KTH on TK 210 with Grant as my courier. On our trip was a young lady that you will remember very well, her name was Cheryl whom you were very good friends with back in Albury/ Wadonga/ Wangaratta or somewhere around there. Any bells ringing yet? Do you remember meeting her? Did you meet her in KTH or in Pokhara  on our first night out from  KTH?
As for washing the coach, I always preferred to have a clean coach, there was nothing worse than a dirty, grubby vehicle. A clean coach and a well mannered, respectable driver, what more could a passenger ask for?
Seeing as I am one of the leading characters in this story, get back to me when you figure out who did what, where and when.
Col
Grant Short Grant Short

Re: EASTER BUNNY DELIVERY

The mystery deepens. Another punter from the outward leg remembers Simon and Shirley and when asked replied that Simon had broken down (the Titanic) and Col drove the group to Kathmandu. As we have the group photo at the Taj featuring Simon & I , and the fact that Colin had befriended one of my group and was showing her how one washes a coach at the Green Lake in Pokhara one narrows down the possibilities as to where the driver/coach change occurred. One suspects Varanasi.

There is one other little sideline to this story. Colin and I, upon arrival and after ones duties have ceased to the punters started cleaning the arrival coach and ended up in the bar at the Blue Star of all places. Unbeknown to us our next load of punters had arrived at the airport and were waiting to be picked up. Eventually, as they were about to be thrown out of the airport, the Blue Star notified Simon, and as he was the only sober driver available, he picked them up and delivered them to the Blue Star, where rumour has it took great delight in introducing them to their crew for the forthcoming overland.

We were pissed, covered in grease. Mind you that trip turned out to be, by both our reckonings the best group that either of us had. You see guys, preparation is everything!